164 days until the 2013 edition of the Windy 500 rolls…
This year, we’ve added a new twist: those in the know will know.
Why should you ride your bike 500 miles in 4 days? Here are 9 reasons:
The 2013 Recipe for the Windy 500 is almost fully baked:
It’s a bit of Urban mixed with a bit of Suburban, with a pinch of Crazy.
We’ve done North.
We’ve done West.
We can’t go East.
This year, we’re headed South.
Milwaukee to Chicago to Michigan to Chicago to Milwaukee.
We have about 8-10 riders so far, and 1 or 2 support drivers.
Some will bow out once they cower before their significant other, or actually look at the map.
Others will join up – it could be YOU!
Pace will ratchet down a bit this year for rose smelling and additional beer consumption.
If you have a bucket list, but don’t know Jack or Morgan, this could be your chance to make it happen!
Where do I start??
Here is the complete list of rules for the event:
- You must ride a bike 500+ miles in 4 days
- You must ride in at least 2 states
- See Rule #5. HTFU.
Here are some basic facts about the ride:
- You will wonder why you signed up for this stupid thing by the end of Day 1.
- You will eat Mexican food. A lot.
- You may break a spoke. Or 2.
- Your beer to all other liquids consumed ratio will be roughly 1:1.
- You will most likely flat. Maybe more than once.
- It will be as hot as Hades on at least 1 day.
- You’ll tell your friends about the adventure for years to come.
- You may be asked to drink tequila out of a handgun.
- Someone will get stung by something. It might be you.
- You will tell or listen to more stupid “butt” jokes than you have in your whole life.
- It will rain so hard you will consider building an Ark on at least 1 day.
- You will be yelled at by Mark Lampe.
- On Day 5, you will actually miss riding your bike, but have no desire to sit on it. At all.
- You may start craving bad gas station food when the ride is over.
- You will see some of the best scenery Wisconsin has to offer.
- You will start planning for next year’s ride at the end of Day 4.
How about a few memorable quotes:
- “This water tastes like a fart”
- “Ask your Mom what a pervert is…”
- “Don’t lean your bike on my truck…”
- “Hey! Whoa! Wrong bed!!”
Maybe pictures are the best way to tell the story:
2013 Windy 500 planning starts today! It will be bigger and badder than ever.
Note: February 2nd is the correct date for the planning meeting. I originally posted the wrong date (Feb 7).
The 2nd Annual WINDY 500 dates are set!
The 2nd annual 500 mile, 4 day bike ride (not to be confused with the Trans-Europe “piece-of-crap-only” car rally taking in 22 foreign countries over 23 days) will be held on August 3-6.
Details are still sketchy, but we have at least 100% more riders, AND a support vehicle!! Having a sag wagon will make this a legit contender. I would not be surprised if both the Schleck brothers and Cadel sign on for 2013.
Now the planning begins. Where are we going?? Last year, we set some informal route guidelines in stone:
- Round-trip route must be a minimum of 500 miles over 4 days.
- Route must cross at least 1 state line.
Do we go back to the UP? If so, do we make the same stops, or head to a different destination? Do we go West (Waterloo, IA? Rochester, MN?) South (Saugatuck, MI? Danville, IL?) Straight through the Earth’s core (Beijing, China?) Which route do we take? Who’s in charge of the map this year (NOT me)?
You don’t even have to be a participant to take place in the planning. We welcome all input! Just show up at:
7677 W State St, Milwaukee, WI 53213
February 2nd @ 7:00pm
Next year’s 2nd Windy 500 will take place from August 3rd to August 6th.
500 miles in 4 days. Nothing but bikes and beers. This year’s adventure left us all with some great stories as well as something to brag to our grand-kids about someday.
The goal this year will be to (at least) double the number of riders. We’ll have a support vehicle and even more fun (did I mention beer yet?)
Bookmark the website, and check back for details:
ToAD and WORS schedules are posted, this does not interfere with either, so get it on your calendar.
I’d like to get a preliminary count of people who are interested, and we can all do the planning together in Spring.
Let my friend Chevy explain why you should “…go for it!”:
Are you in?
“The first question which you will ask and which I must try to answer is this, ‘What is the use of climbing Mount Everest ?’ and my answer must at once be, ‘It is no use’.”
– George Leigh Mallory, 1922
The Windy 500: 125 miles a day for 4 days.
Mowaukee to ‘da UP and back.
Why? Why not.
No registration. No fees. No support. No worries!
As of May 25th, there are 4 participants. If you’d like to tag along, all you have to do is say yes. We’ll be making (cheap) hotel reservations soon, so unless you plan to sleep in a tent (which by the way is an acceptable option), let me know ASAP.
CASUAL PACE!! This will not be a hammer-fest, we’ll match the pace of the slowest rider.
Stopping to sample any local culture (aka: beer) that looks good.
This might be the last fun thing you ever do…